Monday, March 16, 2015

Grandma Heneghan's Irish Soda Bread Recipe - Happy St. Patrick's Day



A couple of years ago I posted my mothers Irish Soda Bread recipe and today I am posting my grandmothers which is slightly different.  My grandmother passed away 32 years ago and I still remember her cooking.

Ms. Nora Duffy was born in 1896 in County Mayo Ireland, baptized at Ballintubber Abbey and emigrated to America specifically Chicago because it was where everyone from the area went.   She worked as a personal chef & nanny for a family on Astor Street for quite a few years and then married my grandfather William Heneghan who was also from County Mayo.  There was a saying that there were more Mayo weddings in Chicago then there were in County Mayo because there was little to stay in Ireland for at that time.

Happy Saint Patrick's Day.

No comments: